Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"The Great Gatsby" Review


"I knew it was a great mistake for a man like me to fall in love..." - Jay Gatsby


Oh my... I feel speechless. This movie was simply divine.

Although it did receive some negative remarks from the Fitzgerald fans, one must be heartless not to feel for the tradgic love between Gatsby and Daisy and simply bonkers to not be in awe of the marvelous, luxurious, rich party life of the ‘20’s that is so well represented in this movie!
Every single little aspect of this production was magestic. The costumes were perfect for the era the story was set in. The soundtrack emphasized the luxury that Gatsby portrayed as well as his deep sorrow (I would especially like to point out “Young and Beautiful” by Lana Del Rey, which is actually a favorite of mine. The song represents the storyline so well). The casting was superb (Leonardo DiCaprio’s charm and poise with Carey Mulligan’s sweet yet not so innocent after all looks). The decor, the props, the lighting, the hair and make up – everything. Everything just came together. All of it just fit together like the pieces of puzzle to show us the lust for money, luxurious things, liquors and parties of the people then.

On a more personal note, I did feel bad for Nick Carraway all the way through the movie. With Tom Bucahnan and his mistress, Gatsby and Daisy, he was just all alone forced to follow Gatsby and Daisy around.

That brings me to another subject. Daisy. I don’t want to give the ending away but I was so disappointed in her. I was utterly flabberghasted at how selfish, careless and self absorbed she became at the end. It disgusted me. After all that Gatsby had done just for her, she didn’t even have the decency to pick up a phone. I just can’t understand why. It made me so happy to see the two of them sitting on Nick’s couch just smiling and I was just so emotional when they were at Gatsby’s castle of a house and he was just throwing around his shirts and they were just so happy. But she threw it all away.

But anyway, enough with my blabbering.


The last thing I’ll say is that you simply MUST watch “The Great Gatsby”. I assure  you, it will be two hours well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment